Mirko Bunzel, Karlsruher Institut für Technologie (KIT)
Chair of the Scientific Advisory Panel (SAP)
The AACCI Scientific Advisory Panel (SAP), presented its findings to the AACCI Board of Directors from its most recent study on the scientific issues/trends of most relevance to AACCI members. The analysis was conducted on more than 150 consolidated entries. Most of the entries are the result of a survey of the membership fielded by the SAP at the end of 2016. The remaining entries are a carry-over of the top 25 items from the prior report. The issues/trends are prioritized according to ratings by SAP members on societal relevance, quality of existing science, and amount of existing science, with societal relevance the primary criteria.
2017 SAP Recommended List of Priorities for AACCI:
Support of Cereal Science
Need for young people entering our field, training new scientists/technicians in cereal science to meet future challenges facing the grain industry
Novel approaches in funding for food and grain science research and education
- Understanding consumer perception of grains and educating the general public and media on benefits of grains in a healthy, sustainable diet
Health Benefits of Grains
- Documenting and understanding the health benefits of cereal dietary fiber and individual dietary fiber constituents
- Specific benefits of grain based foods in gut health, diabetes and obesity, with a focus on the gut microbiome
Grain Production/Grain Processing
- Potential impact of climate change on cereal production
- CRISPR technology - How does it work; how is/can it be used to improve grain sustainability/quality?
- The changing environment in the developed food industry
- Microbiological control of milled cereal grains
- Analytical advances out running the pace of the AACC method process
The SAP has worked diligently to provide the membership with these findings. AACCI Committees are encouraged to utilize this information and details from the full report (available upon request, contact AACCI staff member Michelle Bjerkness, email@example.com) in their planning.
Scientific Advisory Panel Members:
Chair: Mirko Bunzel, Karlsruher Institut für Technologie (KIT)
Member: Jayne E. Bock, C.W. Brabender Instruments
Member: Carola Buller, GoodMills Innovation GmbH
Member: Sean M. Finnie, Bay State Milling
Member: Weining Huang, Jiangnan University
Member: Kati K. Katina, University of Helsinki
Member: Simon Penson, Campden BRI
Member: Roberto L. Serrano, Grain Millers, Inc.
Member: Maarten Van Oort, Mauri Research/ AB Mauri
Board Liaison, Ex-Officio: Rolando A. Flores, New Mexico State University
Ex-Officio: Lauren R. Brewer, General Mills
Ex-Officio: David H. Hahn, Dakota Grower's Pasta Co.